Hailing from the Midwest, Amanda grew up in a pile of snow that is Minnesota. After dabbling in different fields of journalism, Amanda combined her love for photography and her ambitions to tell impactful stories, and studied Photojournalism at the University of Minnesota.
A nomadic heart, Amanda has traveled around the world photographing her adventures. From the islands of New Zealand, to the ancient city of Rome, to tramping around the European continent, Amanda loves to discover new places and be with people who want to do the same. When she's not on her feet or in a car, her travels have brought her out to Seattle where she spends her free time looking at really big hills-errr I mean mountains and photographing a new terrain.
Previously, Amanda has photographed for Minnesota Public Radio, Star Tribune and CBS Radio. She was also formerly the Multimedia Editor for the Minnesota Daily. She has her work featured in previously mentioned outlets as well as Associated Press, FOXSports, Pioneer Press, Forum of Fargo Moorhead, USA Today and New America Media.
Currently, she is a photo and video production assistant at The Seattle Times. She is available for freelance and client work in Seattle and surrounding areas.
· Eddie Adams Workshop XXXII
· First Place in the National Headliners Awards contest for Journalistic Innovation, 2018
· College Photographer ofthe Year, 2014, Minnesota News Photographers Association
· First place spot news, 2014 MNPA college contest
· First place feature, 2014 MNPA college contest
· First place portrait, 2014 MNPA college contest
· Second place sports action, 2014 MNPA college contest
· DuPont-Columbiaaward 2013, MPR News for “Betrayed by Silence”- investigation on the TwinCities Catholic Church
· Hearst photojournalism nominee 2013-2014, University of Minnesota
· Deans List 2011-2014
THE SEATTLE TIMES
Photo & Video Specialist | August 2017 – Current
· Produce and direct hour-long Facebook live broadcasts and discussions in the newsroom
· Curate the best information on the day’s key topics, integrating content from users and social streams
· Select and edit photos on deadline for daily print sections, online and social media platforms
· Coordinate the flow of breaking news to various digital platforms and print editions
· Produce, write and photograph journalism projects and in-depth packages
· Advance new forms of digital storytelling with an eye to user engagement
· Produce The Seattle Times homepage and other major landing pages
· Train newsroom colleagues in the techniques and tools of digital journalism
Digital Content Producer | January 2015 – Present
· Produce & edit creative videos for the CBS Radio Seattle cluster (KFNQ, KZOK, KMPS, and KJAQ.) Tasks include making and overseeing video production for radio events, blogs, concerts, sports and sponsors.
· Providing content and reporting local news, public interest stories, and local sports coverage of the Seahawks, Mariners and Sounders for CBS Local website.
· Help manage the formatting and layout for all station websites. WordPress platforms.
THE MINNESOTA DAILY
Multimedia Editor | May 2013 – May 2015
· Manage a staff of eight photographers andvideographers. This includes selecting and editing photos for dailypublication, working with a team to schedule and complete photo and videoassignments and hiring and training photographers and videographers.
Photography Intern | January 2013 – May 2013
· Report the news andtell stories with images and video for daily publication. Shoot 8-10 photo assignmentsevery two weeks with monthly video assignments.
SUSAN WRIGHT PHOTOGRAPHY | May 2014 – July 2014
· Assist on photo assignments in Rome, Italy forpublications such as Lonely Planet Traveler. Includes setting up lighting andworking with models for set design. Designed marketing strategies for socialmedia platforms such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
STAR TRIBUNE | January 2014 – June 2014
Student Photo Intern
· Complete photo assignments around the Minneapolismetro, including sports, portraits and general news for online galleries anddaily publication.
MINNESOTA PUBLIC RADIO | September 2013 – January 2014
Student Visuals Intern
· Work with the visual news editor on daily photoassignments around the Minneapolis metro. Assist in video production for studiobands with its affiliated radio station The Current.
TIGER OAK PUBLICATIONS | March 2013 – August 2013
· Work with photographers in setting up photoshoots and photographing events for several of its magazines including MinnesotaBride and Minnesota Business.
University of Minnesota | Twin Cities, MN | September 2011 – December 2014
Collegeof Liberal Arts | Journalism, Photography
References available upon request.